Monday Meeting: Emily Patti

In honor of my birthday week I am going to celebrate with honoring something that we all know and love...CAKES! Honestly, I am not a humongous fan of eating cakes...but this weeks "Monday Meeting" vendor creates much more than a delicious cake...she creates a true masterpiece and a beautiful work of art. Emily Patti of Patti Cakes is one of my favorite bakers...and people in general. After spending last Saturday with Emily and 4 of my fabulous brides I knew that she would be the perfect person to highlight this week. Emily gives some great advice below and some beautiful pictures...

How did you get into creating and designing special event cakes?
I have always had an artistic streak growing up but never really utilized it. When I had my son, I started making his birthday cakes every year. A few years later, a friend of mine literally forced me to make her wedding cake. It turned out to be a huge success! My business grew not only from a love of art, but a lifelong love of sweets as well.

What is the biggest trend you are seeing in the world of Wedding Cakes?
Having an extreme groom’s cake featured at the wedding along with the wedding cake. This is a way to get your fiancĂ© to become willingly involved and excited about the process and together we can come up with something so creative and that will be such a conversation piece at the wedding! This is a great way to let the personality of the groom or the two of you as a couple shine. Plus, unlike featuring a groom’s cake at the rehearsal dinner, everyone has the opportunity to see it.

What is your favorite part of working with a bride and creating her dream day?
Having the opportunity to hear her ideas and details in order to come up with a cake that is truly unique and personal. It’s more fun to combine our ideas to come up with a piece of art that makes a statement rather than just serve as the “expected” wedding cake. I’m so fortunate that I’m given the opportunity to create the centerpiece for a couple’s biggest day of their life.

What is a cake trend that is over-used in modern weddings?I have been so lucky to work with brides that relish the opportunity to get creative with their cake that I haven’t really come across something that is “over-used”. I always say “it’s trendy to be unique!”. Take this opportunity to let your ideas run, choose cake flavors that you really like and not what you feel is expected, and start your own trend.

What advice would you give a bride and groom when they are trying to pick the best cake with the best vendor?
Follow your heart! The cake is ultimately an edible, artistic expression that should compliment your personality. It should not only serve as a memorable centerpiece for your event, but leave a delicious taste in the mouth of all your guests. Choose the vendor that you truly believe understands the image and feel that you are trying to convey.




Grooms Cakes: Yes, These are completely edible.





No comments:

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Blogger Template by A Creative Bride