Monday Meeting: Stephanie Greeves


It's Monday! And you know what that means...another fabulous event vendor to introduce you to! Today, we'd like you to meet Stephanie Greeves...not your typical wedding vendor, but someone that most brides can agree, she's someone they'd love to meet and work with before (and after) their big day. Stephanie is a born and raised Virginia Beach gal with an extraordinary dance background. She has taken her love for dance and fitness and combined them into one...her dance studio Center Stage Dance Company started offering fitness classes this past year and they are a humongous hit (and the studio is packed).  Zumba is a fave of ours...but the studio also offers stretching and conditioning classes. (and you can even see a few of our staff in their adult tap classes). 

Meet Stephanie:
A few ZUMBA regulars performing our love for fitness at the annual Fairfield Fall Festival.
(Instructor, Stephanie Greeves, in Center)
What is your dance and fitness background?Dancing has been a part of my life for the past 30 years.  I began dancing as a toddler and haven't stopped since!  My dance training involved a variety of styles of dance including ballet, tap, jazz, modern, pointe, and contemporary.  I grew up in a local dance studio which gave me an amazing foundation for dance.  I also trained with master teachers in the area to further develop my teaching style and help me become a stronger dancer.  Most recently, I obtained my Zumba Instructor's License....exercising has never been so much fun! 

What made you leave teaching career to pursue opening a dance studio?
My love for children and my passion for dance were the perfect marriage and instrumental in my decision to open a dance studio!  I was formerly a Kindergarten and First Grade teacher (in addtion to a dance instructor).  I was given the opportunity to host a mobile dance program for a group of local preschools, which solidified the idea that teaching dance was what I was meant to do. As the children began to grow out of the preschools, I had to just let them go...like little butterflies out into the big wide world!  Sometimes this resulted in children joining a dance studio in their neighborhood, but often it just meant they were finished with their dancing hobby.  I wanted to give these little ballerinas a place to call home. Opening a dance studio is the best of both worlds.  I get to nurture and train children in a discipline that I feel so much passion towards!   I wanted to give adults a chance to dance as well, but so many ladies are intimidated by the typical ballet class. I decided to offer Zumba to expose adults to many styles of dance without having them attend the traditional dance class. 

What is your favorite style of dance?
I have two favorite styles of dance, one for the traditional dance studio and the other is my Zumba favorite!  Tap is hands-down my favorite style of dance.  I love the sounds, both simple and complex, and how taps can create their own music! You have the chance to be a little over-the-top when you tap!  Tap takes practice, it is not an easy style to pick up, but once you get it, I guarantee you will be hooked!  Salsa is my favorite interntational rythm.  I love the way the music gets you moving. You just can't stop dancing once you get that beat in your head!

What can someone expect when they come to your studio for the first time?
You will find both our dance classes and fitness classes are very welcoming to new students.  The students in both of those classes are never competitive and always embrace an additional dancer.  New ladies who attend Zumba classes always worries they won't know the routines, but that is the beauty of Zumba...you catch on to the choreography quickly becuase of the repetitive nature of the dances. Ladies always worry that they will look silly or that they don't know how to dance.  I always tell them "no one has time to look at you!"  Everyone is consumed with themselves and trying to follow along, that they just don't have time to notice that you might be on the wrong foot!  99% of the ladies who try the first class return for a second class! 

Typically, how many calories do you burn in a Zumba class?
 It all really depends on your body type and the amount of effort you put into each workout.  Typically, ladies can expect to burn at LEAST 500 calories.  A few of my regular Zumba girls wear monitors and have reported burning over 1,000 calories on multiple occasions!   

What makes Zumba so enjoyable for you?
I love that you don't feel like you are exercising when you Zumba!  It just feels like fun...a dance party!  It makes me so happy to see my friends and Zumba crew working hard on their fitness goals and to know that I am a part of their journey.  There are many reasons why ladies attend a Zumba class...some for help with their weight loss, others just to help them lead a heathier lifestyle.  I am so honored that we have formed a bond that goes far beyond the typical gym membership!

You can check out Zumba yourself 6 times a week at Center Stage Dance Company
($5.00 per class or a 10 class punch card for $40.00)
Mondays at 8:30
Tuesday-Thursday at 8:00pm
Saturdays at 8:00am 
Sundays at 4:00pm

No comments:

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved | Blogger Template by A Creative Bride